- 80 pearl onions
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 sticks of butter
- 4tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1tbs of fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- Small bunch of parsley as garnish (curly or flat leaf)
This is a delicious side dish. The recipe calls for 80 pearl onions to feed a crowd. However you may adjust the recipe proportionately for a regular meal. Pearl onions are notoriously hard to peel.So here is the easy way. Place the onions in boiling water for 30 seconds, then remove them a place in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Using a small knife you may easily remove the skins from the onions. Remember leave the root end intact so the onions stay whole during cooking.
- In a large skillet melt butter, and add sugar and the onions and saute lightly. Cook until caramelized about 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice thyme and white wine and beef stock. cook uncovered in a 350 degree oven until liquid reduces.
- You can cook these onions in batches to make it a little more manageable.
- Note: You may also add a cream sauce to the onions once the liquid had reduced by making a light roux, mixing 1 part flour and 1 part butter., and stirring on medium heat for 3 minutes then adding half and half and sour cream to make the sauce.