- 2 lbs whole red snapper or you may use any white fleshed whole fish or fillets desired.
- 1 and 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1/2cup water
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into Julienne
- 1 rib of celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 8 large peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- Parsley, chopped for garnish
This dish has Spanish origins and is basically pickled fish covered with a spicy marinade. It takes about 24 hours to cure, but it worth the wait. Most any white fleshed fish is a good choice.
- Combine fish with vinegar, water onion, carrot, celery, sugar, salt, peppercorns and bay leaf in a large non reactive pan.
- Simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- In a non reactive bowl place fish and pour over marinade.
- Cover tightly and let marinate in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and let return to room temperature.