Whole Wheat Bread
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 cups, plus 2 tbs whole milk
- 3 packages of active dry yeast
- 2 and 2/3 cups of white bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 and 2/3 cups of whole- wheat flour'1/2 cup plus 1 tbs of canola oil
- Additional white flour
This recipe will give you a wonderful home style whole wheat bread.
- Stir sugar into warm milk and sprinkle with the yeast.
- Let stand for 5 minutes or until the surface is frothy.
- Stir gently to moisten any dry particles remaining on top.
- Sift white flour and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the whole wheat flour.
- Stir in the oil to the yeast mixture, then pour into the flour mixture to make a dough.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough 5 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle a baking sheet with flour.
- Lightly knead risen dough. Shape into a loaf and place on floured baking sheet.
- Cover and let stand (proof) for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sprinkle loaf with a little additional white flour.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped on underside.