- 1 lb of catfish fillets (4 1/4 lb fillets)
- 3/4 cup of cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Canola or corn oil for frying
- Lemon wedges for serving
Catfish has a delicious flaky white flesh. It is wonderful when deep fried. There are many varieties of catfish. The ones that you are likely to find at your fish monger are usually farmed raised. The key to fried catfish is the seasoning, soaking liquid and oil temperature.
- Add flour, cornmeal and parsley to a bowl. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Mix well
- In a shallow bowl add the buttermilk.
- Add the catfish to the bowl and let marinate for 15 minutes.
- Remove catfish from the buttermilk and let excess drip off.
- Meanwhile heat a deep fryer or large sauce pan with enough oil to deep fry. Heat to 350 degrees.
- Add the catfish, one fillet at a time to the cornmeal mixture and cover well. Shake off excess.
- Place the fillets into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. About 5 minutes depending on thickness of fillets.
- Serve with lemon wedges.