Smoked Trout Fish Cakes
- 1 lb of smoked trout, flaked
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbs canola oil
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
This is a twist on traditional fish cakes. We use smoked freshwater trout, which is absolutely delicious. These fish cakes can be served as fish burgers in warm buttered buns with lettuce, tomato and lemon wedges on the side. You can find smoked trout at most gourmet grocery stores. Serves 4 to 6.
- Add oil to a saute pan and cook onions using medium heat.
- add all ingredients, except the bread crumbs, and shape mixture into cakes.
- Roll the cakes in bread crumbs, and refrigerate cakes for 30 minutes.
- Fry in hot oil using medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.