- 1 3 lb chicken,cut in to 8 pieces
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 16 oz can of tomato sauce
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 lb of button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small green pepper cut into chunks
- 1 small red pepper cut into 1/8 inch strips
- 8 0z of spaghetti or alternatively can be served over mashed potatoes.
Chicken cacciatore is an Italian staple. This recipe is sure to become one of your family favorites. It has rich deep flavors of the chicken, mushrooms, peppers and garlic This recipe is traditionally served over pasta, however it is also delicious served over mashed potatoes. Serves 4 to 6.
- In a paper bag, combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken pieces, 1 or two at a time.
- Shake and coat chicken with mixture.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Brown chicken until it turns golden brown on all sides.
- Drain, stir in tomato sauce, mushrooms, oregano, onions and garlic.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat cover and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, cover and simmer an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until chicken is fork tender.
- Meanwhile cook the spaghetti to aldente (firm to the bite).
- Spoon chicken mixture over the spaghetti or potatoes and serve.