- 8 okras sliced into rounds
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups corn meal
- 1 tbs butter
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Coucou is a mixture of cornmeal and okra that is usually served as a side dish in Barbados. It is the Caribbean version of Polenta.
- Boil 4 cups of water in a large sauce pan and add the okra. cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until soft. Lower the heat
- While the okra is cooking, mix the corn meal with 2 cups of cold water in a bowl.
- Add the corn meal mixture to the pot with the okra. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well and cook on low, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- The Cou Cou is done when it’s stiff and separates away from the sides of the pot.
- Serve on a dish with butter along with fried fish if desired.