Mashed Celery Root (Celeriac)
- 2 large celery roots
- 1 large potato
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- paprika for sprinkling/garnish
The common name for this vegetable is celery root. The root looks something like a turnip. The root has a mild celery flavor. Celery root is available from October through April. Select firm, crisp roots and remove outer skin with a sharp knife. It is absolutely delicious, and worth trying.
- Cut celery root into fourths and peel.
- Cook in boiling salted water until partially tender.
- Add potato, peeled and cut in fourths.
- Continue cooking until vegetables are tender. Drain.
- Mash vegetables thoroughly.
- Add enough chicken broth to make a soft consistency. (like mashed potatoes)
- Add butter, salt and pepper and whip until smooth.
- Sprinkle with paprika and serve hot.