- 1 (3lb to 4 lb) eye of round roast
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- canola oil
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Coarse rock salt
- 2 carrots, coarsley chopped
- 2 large onions
- 2 ribs celery
This is super simple method to prepare roast beef. Using coarse rock salt is very common in South America, Greece and Italy when preparing large cuts of meat. The salt flavors the meat as well as provides a wonderful crust. Serves 8 to 10.
- Bring meat to room temperature.
- In the bottom of the roasting pan add the onions, celery and carrots.
- Add 2 cups of water to the roasting pan.
- Make slits all over meat and insert a garlic slice.
- Rub meat all over with canola oil, the roll in the rock salt. You want to make sure the meet is completely covered with the salt.
- Roast in a 350 degree oven for about 20 to 25 minutes per pound for medium rare. It is best to use a meat thermometer to determine the desired doneness.
- Before serving, scrape off the salt and slice.
- Strain the juices from the roasting pan and use to make gravy.