Poached Oysters in Ravigote Sauce
- 2 pints of select oysters
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- Poaching liquid (court bouillon):
- 2 cups white wine
- liquor from 2 pints of oysters
- 1 small onion, chopped into quarters
- herb package. In cheese cloth add thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, rosemary and black peppercorns. Tie the package together with string and add the the liquid.
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Ravigote Sauce:
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs capers
- 2 tbs minced parsley
- pinch of chervil or other herb of choice
- 2 tbs chopped chives
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
This is a delicate appetizer with lightly poached oysters and a savory sauce.
- In a sauce pan, add the ingredients for the poaching liquid.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the simmering liquid from the stove and add the oysters. Allow to cool.
- To prepare the sauce combine the vinegar and mustard.
- Add the oil in a gradual thin stream while whisking constantly.
- Add the capers, parsley, and chives.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Stir in about 4 tbs of the sauce to the oysters and poaching liquid.
- To serve add several oysters to butter lettuce cups and drizzle with a little sauce.