- 5 lbs of cleaned chitterlings
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp black pepper corns
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 tbs oil
- Add clean chitterlings to cold water and rinse very well.
- Place the open of the chitterlings under a faucet with the head of the faucet going into the opening, and run cold water for several minutes until each chitterlings is totally clean.
- Cut the chitterlings into 3 inch pieces and return to a bowl of clean water.
- To a stock pot add the chitterlings and cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Add the bay leaves 1 onion and garlic.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook the chitterlings for 3 hours.
- Remove the chitterlings from the water and allow to cool slightly.
- In a sauce pan add the oil the chitterlings and the green pepper and onion, and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.