Dates Stuffed with Chorizo
- 1/8 lb of chorizo sausage
- 12 fresh dates, pitted
- 6 strips of bacon
- canola oil for frying
- flour for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Cut the chorizo into three 3/4 inch slices. Cut the slices in half lengthwise, then cut them into quarters for a total of 12 pieces.
- Stuff the cavity of each date with a piece of chorizo, closing the date around it.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around each date and secure with a toothpick.
- In a deep pan heat 1/2 inch of oil.
- Dust the dates with with flour then dip them in the beaten egg and then into the bread crumbs.
- Cook the dates in the hot oil, turning them frequently until golden.
- Drain on paper towels and serve at once.