Mexican Fish Tacos
- 1 lb cod fillets or other firm white fish
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup beer
- 2 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 small can of chipolte peppers in adobo
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- pico de gallo salsa (onions, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapenos, lime juice)
- 1 cup Mexican crema
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 2 avocados, pureed
- oil for deep frying
- 8-10 corn tortillas, lightly toasted
This method for fish tacos is authentic. Firm white fish is batter fried and served along with a variety of condiments that your guests may choose from.
- To make the batter mix the flour, beer and baking powder. Mix well and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut the fish fillets in 4 inch by 1 inch thick pieces.
- In a sauce pan or deep fryer fill 1/3 full with oil and heat to 360 degrees.
- While oil is heating place the tortillas on a baking and lightly toast in a 350 degree oven for several minutes.
- Dip the fish pieces in the batter and allow the excess to drain. Fry in batches until all pieces are golden and crispy.
- Place the can of chipolte peppers in a food processor and process until smooth. Clean out food processor and add the avocado and process until very smooth.
- Mean while assemble a condiment bar with each condiment in a separate bowl. Cabbage, radishes, chipolte sauce, crema, avocado and salsa.
- Add 1 or two pieces of the fried fish to a tortilla and top with desired condiments.