Tofu and Vegetable Thai Curry
- 1/4 lb firm tofu, drained
- 6 tbs dark sauce
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tsp chili sauce
- 1 lb cauliflower
- 1 lb broccoli
- 4 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 onions peeled and sliced
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 lb green beans, halved
- 3 cups button or shitake mushrooms, halved
- shredded scallions for garnish
- Boiled jasmine rice for serving.
- 4 chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2 lemon grass stalks, chopped, white parts only
- 2 inch piece fresh galangal, chopped (available at Asian markets)
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves (available at Asian markets)
- 4 tsp ground coriander
- Cilantro sprigs, including stems
- Cut the drained tofu into 1 inch cubes and place in an ovenproof dish.
- Mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, chili sauce and ginger. Pour over the tofu.
- Toss gently, then marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- To make the curry paste, blend the chopped chilies, lemon grass, galangal, lime leaves, ground and fresh coriander in a food processor. Add 6 tbs water and process into a thick paste.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions and cook gently for about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the curry paste and the coconut milk. Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the red peppers, green beans, cauliflower and broccoli.
- Transfer to a oven proof dish, cover and place in a preheated 350 degree oven.
- Stir the tofu and marinade, then place the dish in the top of the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the marinade mixture to the mushrooms and curry and cook for for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Garnish the curry with shredded spring onions.
- Serve with jasmine rice.