Portuguese Kale Soup
- 2 lbs fresh Kale, cleaned, stems removed
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled, and cut into large chunks
- 1/2 lb Linguica or chorizo sausage, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 9 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to a large sauce pan. Using medium heat add the onions and garlic. Saute for about 3-4 minutes until the onions are almost tender.
- Add the sausage and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Tear the kale into pieces and add to the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring almost to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cook for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Serve with crusty bread.