Classic New Orleans Beignets
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature, beaten
- 2 tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 4 cups bread flour
- 3 tsp dry yeast
- canola oil for deep frying
- Confectioners sugar, for dusting
- Using a mixer with a dough hook, place water, sugar, salt, egg, butter, evaporated milk, flour and yeast in the bowl.
- Beat until smooth.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and turn out onto a lightly oiled surface.
- Form the dough into an oval and place in a lightly greased bowl. cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled. 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Remove the prepared dough from the refrigerator and roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/2 inch thickness.
- cut dough into 3 inch squares and set aside
- In a large sauce pan or deep fryer fill 1/3 full with oil and heat to 360 degrees.
- Slide the dough pieces slowly into the hot oil and fry the Beignets in batches in batches for about 2-3 minutes or until they are puffed and golden brown on each side,
- Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- While the Beignets are still hot, sprinkle them with powdered sugar.