- 4 lbs fresh apricots
- juice of 1 lemon
- 9 cups sugar
- 1 tbs unsalted butter
- Halve the apricots and remove the pits.
- Crack a few of the apricot pits with a nutcracker or hammer, and take out the kernels and blanch them in boiling water for about 1 minute, then drain.
- Put the apricots, lemon juice, apricot kernels, and 2 cups of water in a preserving kettle and simmer until the fruit is soft and the contents of the pan are well reduced. About 15 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the sugar, stirring until dissolved.
- Add the butter and boil rapidly until setting point is reached. About 15 minutes.
- Remove any scum with a spoon, then pack, seal and process using an acceptable canning method.