Cuban Mojo Criollo Sauce
- 1 and 1/2 cups sour orange
- 1 and 1/2 cups pineapple juice
- 3 large heads garlic
- 1 tbs oregano, crushed
- 1 tbs bay leaves, ground
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- Note: you can replicate sour orange juice by mixing a ratio of 3/4 orange juice with 1/4 lemon juice.
This is a Cuban Mojo sauce that was perfected by La Caja China in Miami Florida. It is perfect injected in whole pigs, pork shoulders and whole chickens before roasting, and the solids can be used as a rub for the interior and exterior of the meat. Once you inject and rub your meat place covered in your refrigerator for 24 hours before roasting.
- Remove the cloves from the heads of garlic and place in a mortar and pestle and and grind until smooth. Alternatively place the cloves in a food processor and pulse several times to give a rough chop.
- In a large bowl add the garlic, sour orange juice, pineapple juice, oregano, bay leaf powder, Kosher salt, black pepper and cumin. Mix well. Allow sauce to sit for 1-2 hours before using.
- Strain the sauce using a wire mesh strainer and reserve the solids.
- Using a meat injector, inject the strained sauce in the meat, all over.
- If roasting a whole pig or whole chicken, butterfly the meat and rub the solids all over the interior of the meat.
- If you are cooking a pork shoulder, inject the meat all over, then rub the solids all over the exterior of the meat. After rubbing and injecting the meat place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.