The Dagwood Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 9 tbs butter, at room temperature, divided
- 1 red onion, sliced 1/8" thick
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 slices, thick sliced white bread or Texas toast
- 8 slices Wisconsin American cheese
- 4 slices Wisconsin sliced Swiss
- 8 oz sliced smoked ham
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/4" thick, 8 slices.
This recipe is courtesy of the Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Academy It is made with Wisconsin American, Swiss, smoked ham, tomatoes and onions on thick sliced white bread.
- Heat a saute pan over high heat and add 1 tbs of butter, melt then add the onion slices and season with salt and pepper. cook for about 3-5 minutes, adjusting heat if necessary.
- Remove onions to a plate and reserve.
- butter one side of each bread slice, then saute pan over medium heat and add 4 bread slices, butter side down.
- Layer on each slice of bread, 1 slice American cheese, 1 slice Swiss cheese, 2 oz ham, about 1 tbs of the sauteed onions, 2 slices of tomato, then an additional slice of American cheese.
- Top each sandwich with remaining 4 slices of bread, butter side up.
- Saute sandwiches for 3 minutes, turn carefully and grill until golden brown and the cheeses are melted.