- 3 lbs chicken, quartered
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a saucepan and cook onion and garlic until tender, but do not brown.
- Add the ketchup, stir and add the remaining ingredients, except for the chicken.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Season chicken all over with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken pieces bone side down over medium to hot coals.
- Grill for about 25 minutes or until the bone side is well browned.
- Turn pieces over and grill 25 minutes more or until chicken is cooked through. It should be 165 degrees internal temperature.
- Brush chicken frequently with sauce during the last 10 minutes of grilling, using all of the sauce.