- 3 bell peppers, one yellow, one orange and one red
- 4-5 anchovies, drained and mashed
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 dashes Tabasco sauce
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
This recipe uses red, yellow and orange bell peppers all of which have a slightly different sweetness. The peppers are roasted which gives them a slightly smoky flavor. This sauce is wonderful draped over fish or chicken.
- To roast the peppers, char them over a gas flame or under a broiler, turning until the skin is blistered on all sides.
- Place the charred peppers in a zip lock bag and seal. Let stand for about 5 minutes. This will enable you to remove the skin easily.
- Chop the peppers into small pieces and place them in a food processor, along with the egg yolk, mustard, red wine vinegar, anchovies and Tabasco.
- Season with salt and pepper, the process until smooth.
- With food processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until a thick emulsion forms.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Makes 1 cup.