- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 1/2 cups Pecorino Romano, grated, plus extra for the completed dish
- 1 cup Parmesan Reggiano
- 1 tbs black pepper, coarsely ground, plus extra for the completed dish
- 1 to 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt to taste, optional
This is a very simple classic Roman pasta dish that is amazingly delicious.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- Add the pasta and cook until aldente (which means firm to the tooth). Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Meanwhile combine the cheeses and black pepper to a large bowl and mash with just enough cold water to make a thick paste.
- Transfer the pasta to the bowl along with the cheeses and add a teaspoon or two of olive oil and a bit of the pasta cooking water to thin the sauce if necessary.
- The sauce should cling to the pasta and be creamy but not watery.
- Divide the pasta onto four plates or bowls and sprinkle with additional pecorino and black pepper.