- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup pitted, chopped dates
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbs shortening
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
- Combine walnuts, dates, soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add the shortening and boiling water and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Beat the eggs, vanilla, then beat in the sugar and flour.
- Mix in the date and nut mixture.
- Turn the dough into a greased loaf pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 65 minutes or until done.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- Cool overnight before slicing.
- This bread freezes well.