Bacon and Mushroom Empanadas
|4 oz thick sliced bacon diced|
|1 small onion|
|2 1/4 cups mushrooms (you can use all one variety or mix and match)|
|2 teaspoons of tomato paste|
|1/2 teaspoon celery seed|
|1/2 teaspoon white pepper|
|2 tbs unsalted butter|
|1 package frozen puff pastry|
|1 egg beaten|
|kosher salt and pepper to taste|
I love any food that you can just pick up and eat with your hands. Empanada’s are very adaptable and easy to make. you can just about put anything inside savory or sweet. Here is our take on empanadas which uses puff pastry which is readily available in your grocery store’s frozen food section. Feel free to use your imagination. Empanadas can be filled with almost anything, savory or sweet.
- Dice bacon and onion
- Fry bacon in skillet until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan and add onion and fry until tender
- Add mushrooms, tomato paste, salt, pepper and butter.
- Fry until liquid evaporates. remove from heat
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- On a floured surface, roll out pastry dough 1/8 thick. Cut into eight to 10 four inch circles.
- Drain fat from filling.
- Place a spoon full of filling on 1/2 of each circle.
- Fold over the over half and cover making into half moon shapes.
- Using the edge of a fork press the edges to seal.
- Brush the empanadas with beaten egg wash, and place on baking sheet covered with foil or a silicone matte.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve hot or cold..garnish with parsley.