The Best Shrimp Cocktail Ever
|1 pound of extra large shell on shrimp|
|1 cup home made ketchup (see our post or use store brought)|
|1/4 cup fresh horseradish(store brought if you can't find fresh)|
|1 stalk of celery|
|1 clove of garlic (chopped fine)|
|1 bay leaf|
|A few black peppercorns|
|Fresh lemon juice|
|Dash of Worcestershire sauce|
|Chive Stems and lemon wedges for garnish (its really nice if you can find chive stems with the purple flowers)|
Many of us are missing the boat when it comes to making shrimp cocktail! We just boil the shrimp in water remove them and make a cocktail sauce of horseradish and ketchup. In the words of Emeril, here is our kicked up version. If you follow these steps you will have an absolutely mouth watering delicious shrimp cocktail. Your friends will beg you for the recipe! It is up to you whether or not you give it to them.
- Chop the carrot, onion and celery into small pieces and add to medium sized pot.
- Shell and devein shrimp, leaving tails on. Put shrimp aside. Add the shells to the pot.
- Fill pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Make sure pot is large enough to hold the shrimp when added.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add bay leaf, and peppercorns.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Add the shrimp and cover the pot. Let shrimp stay in broth for 5 minutes no longer.
- Remove shrimp and put them in a ice bath to stop the cooking.
- To make the cocktail sauce mix ketchup, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, , and chopped garlic.
- Once shrimp are cooled, squeeze fresh lemon juice on them.
- In a martini glass or other attractive receptacle, spoon in some cocktail sauce, and place shrimp around the rim.
- This Recipe will serve 4 to 6 hungry people.
- Also goes great with a few shots of Patron tequila. The more shots that you have the better it’s going to taste!