Smoked Gouda Swiss and Bacon Quiche
|1and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour|
|1/2 teaspoon of salt|
|7 tbs of butter cut into small pieces|
|3 to 5 tbs of ice water|
|8 oz thick sliced bacon chopped|
|4 eggs separated|
|pinch of White Pepper|
|1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt|
|2 scallions white and green parts chopped|
|1 small handful of Italian parsley chopped|
|Generous 1/2 cup of smoke Gouda cheese shredded|
|Generous 1/2 cup of shredded Edam cheese|
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut butter into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Lightly mix in enough ice water until dough holds together. Press into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Grease and flour one 10 inch or 2 , 7 inch pie tins. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough and place in pie tin without stretching.
- Blind bake in oven for 10 minutes(place foil in pans and add dry beans or rice in order to give the crust a little head start)
- Alternatively you may use a store brought pie shell.
- Chop bacon slices, and fry for several minutes.place on paper towel to drain fat.
- Beat egg yolks, cream, pepper and salt.
- In a large bowl Fold in cheese,bacon, scallions, and parsley into the egg/cream mixture.
- Beat egg whites until smooth, and fold into the egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into pie pan and bake 30 to 40 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
Note: You may get creative with this recipe. You can use salmon, mushrooms, spinach. Use your imagination and add whatever you like.