French Dip Sandwich
- 1 small onion
- 4 large cloves of garlic rough chopped
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tbs fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 2 sprigs of fresh
- 1 14 and 1/2 0z can of beef broth
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 4 French style rolls, split
- If you like you can add the cheese of your choice
Every time we are in L.A one of our must stops is Philippe’s restaurant to get one of their wonderful french dip sandwiches. It’s a very simple sandwich, tender roast beef on a french roll dipped in a flavorful pan gravy. That’s it! Simple but delicious. The keys to this sandwich are simple. Good bread, high quality beef, and flavorful pan gravy. If you are ever in LA be sure to stop by Philippe’s 1001 N. Alameda Street. http://www.philippes.com/Here is our version of this all American favorite.
- In a sauce pan lightly saute onions and garlic in butter until soft.
- Stir in broth add pepper, and thyme and simmer partially for 10 minutes.
- Add sliced to broth and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Remove beef slices from broth and arrange atop of rolls.
- You now have several options. you can dip whole sandwich in broth or you can place broth in several dishes for dipping.
Our personal favorite way is to dip the whole sandwich, slice and eat.