Beef Provencal or French Beef Stew
|3 pounds of boneless chuck roast cut into 2 inch chunks|
|1/2 cup all-purpose flour|
|1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper|
|1 large leek washed thoroughly|
|1/4 cup butter|
|2 tbs olive oil|
|10 small white onions peeled and left whole(leave root end attached so the onions will hold together)|
|2 cloves of garlic crushed|
|2 bay leaves|
|1 can (1 lb 12 oz) tomatoes with sauce (we like Cento Italian because of the flavor and the rich thick sauce. They are available in the FSG Gourmet Store)|
|10 small redskin potatoes scrubbed|
|2 large carrots peeled and cut into 1 inch rounds|
|2 large zucchini cut into 1 inch rounds|
|12 ripe black olives (without pits)|
|Chopped parsley(curly or Italian)|
|1 orange peel cut into strips.|
|1 and 1/2 cups red wine|
|2 tbs dried thyme|
This is a real show stopper. Chunks of beef are marinated in red wine, orange peel and thyme; then they’re simmered with some wonderful fresh vegetables. The flavors marry beautifully. The only other thing you need for this one pot dish is some crusty bread and a glass good of red wine!
- Cut beef into 2 inch cubes.
- In a bowl combine marinade ingredients.
- Add beef to marinade and toss to coat well.
- Refrigerate tightly covered for 2 to 3 hours.
- Drain well and reserve the marinade and the peel.
- Coat the beef in flour mixed with salt and pepper. Reserve remaining flour.
- Trim leak. Cut off the root end and most of the dark green. Slice leek cross ways into 1/4 inch rounds. Make sure leek is free of dirt.
- In a stock pot or dutch oven saute beef cubes until brown on all sides. Once brown remove from pot and set aside.
- Add leeks, onions, carrots and garlic to the same pot cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Return beef to pot. Add tomatoes and bay leaves, and marinade
- Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes to pot. Slice zucchini into 1 inch rounds and add to pot.
- Sir the remaining flour in 1/4 cup of water. Add to pot and stir until smooth.
- Cook 40 minutes and add olives and parsley to pot.