- 4 lbs mixed greens
- 1 ham hock or smoked turkey wings
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 habanero pepper, left whole
Collards, turnip greens, and curly kale all have very distinctive flavors. I love them mixed together. The secret to these greens is that we use chicken stock and water mixed in equal parts as the cooking liquid. The chicken stock adds an incredible depth of flavor. This recipe serves a crowd.
- Begin by thoroughly washing greens in sink. While washing strip the stems from the leaves and tear or cut leaves into manageable pieces.
- During the washing time bring the water and chicken stock to a boil. Add the salt and side meat. Reduce to a simmer.
- Toss in the habanero pepper (don’t worry it won’t be too hot if left whole. It will just add a nice spicy touch)
- Add the washed greens a few at a time. They will cook down rapidly, making room for more.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat until tender. About an hour and a half.