Charcoal Roasted Peruvian Chicken
|1 whole chicken cut into 8 individual pieces (2 breasts, 2 wings, 2 legs and 2 thighs) Or you can buy pre- cut chicken pieces|
|1/2 cup canola oil|
|1/4 cup lemon juice|
|1/4 cup lime juice|
|1/4 cup white wine vinegar|
|8 cloves of garlic smashed|
|1 tbs turmeric|
|1 tbs ground cumin|
|1 tbs thyme|
|1 tbs oregano|
|1 tbs kosher salt|
|1 tbs black cracked pepper|
|2 tbs red pepper flakes|
There is a little carry out restaurant on the outskirts of Washington D.C. called “El Pollo Ricon.” They make this crazy good Peruvian Chicken cooked over charcoal. You can smell this chicken cooking from a mile away! Once you get you hands on it you will groan at first bite. It is unbelievably juicy, spicy and just bursting with flavor. This is a very simple recipe. The secret is in the marinade. You can cook this chicken in the oven or on a gas grill, but believe us it is so much better cooked over charcoal!Directions:
- Wash chicken thoroughly.
- Combine all marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Place chicken in a zip lock marinade bag and pour in marinade. Or you can use a large bowl with a cover.
- Marinate over night or for at least 4 hours.
- Cook chicken over a charcoal grill. If cooking whole chicken use indirect cooking method,( not directly over coals) If your are grilling chicken parts cook over coals taking care not to burn chicken.
- If you cook the whole chicken in the oven. Cook at 350 degrees.(20 minutes per pound and then an extra 20 minutes)
- This recipe is best cooked over charcoal.