Chinese Chicken Salad
|5 large chicken breasts poached and sliced into bite size pieces.|
|3 stalks of celery (one for stock),( 2 for salad thinly sliced on a bias)|
|1 small white onion for stock|
|1 small red onion sliced thinly for salad|
|1 large head iceberg lettuce..about 6 cups thinly shredded|
|4 scallions white and green parts sliced thinly on bias|
|1 can water chestnuts drained and sliced|
|2 cups bean sprouts|
|1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro|
|2 to three cups deep fried deep fried rice sticks.|
|1/4 cup sesame seeds|
|1/4 cashew nuts halved|
|1/4 cup wall nuts halved|
|2/3 cup rice vinegar|
|2 cups of water|
|1/2 cup of sugar|
|1/4 cup plum sauce tbs fresh ginger grated|
|1 clove of garlic minced finely|
|1/4 cup sesame oil.|
When I’m real hungry and know that I should be eating healthy, here is my go to dish. It’s filling savory, sweet, and crunchy. It satisfies all of my hunger pings. An added benefit is that it uses the red headed step child of the salad world, “iceberg lettuce”. The dressing really makes this salad.
- Bring water to a medium simmer and poach chicken breast’s along with carrot, onion and 1 stalk of celery. 7 to 8 minutes. Let chicken cool. Reserve the stock for another use.
- In a large bowl, mix together chicken, lettuce, red onion, celery, water chestnuts, bean sprouts and cilantro.
- Drizle with dressing and mix lightly (dressing recipe to follow)
- Add rice sticks and toss again very lighlty (recipe for rice sticks to follow).
- Heat vinegar, add water and sugar and bring to a boil to disolve sugar.
- Remove from heat and add all ingredients. Refrigerate overnight.
- In a wok or large frying pan heat vegetable oil and place the rice sticks. They will puff up quickly and expand.Turn them over to make sure all are cooked..this should take about 20 seconds.