Seafood Stuffed Chilies
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 6 large canned whole green chili peppers rinsed and drained (or better yet use fresh Anaheim peppers, and char them over a gas flame until blackened to remove skin)
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 8 oz small shrimp
- 8 oz crab meat
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 cup jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
If you love shrimp, crab meat and chilies, this recipe is for you!
- Slit each pepper down one side to cut open, remove and discard seeds.
- Heat cooking oil in a medium skilled and saute garlic and onion for 3 minutes.
- Add crab met, oregano and cumin, stir, then remove from heat.
- Add half the cheddar cheese and half the Monterey Jack cheese to the seafood mixture and mix well.
- Spoon mixture onto half of each pepper and close by folding the other half over stuffing.
- Place chilies in a square 2 qt baking dish. sprinkle with remaining cheese, Cove and bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until chilies are thoroughly heated and the cheese has melted.
- Note: you may pre roast the chilies before stuffing by rotating then over and gas flame to blister and remove skin.