Four Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
|12 cups of water (or enough to cover pasta)|
|8 cups elbow macaroni (2 pounds)|
|2 cups sharp yellow cheddar cheese, shredded|
|1 cup Velveeta cheese cut into small chunks|
|1 cup of Colby cheese, shredded|
|1 cup of Monterrey jack cheese shredded|
|4 tbs butter|
|4 tbs all purpose flour|
|3 cups milk|
|3 large eggs|
|1 cup sour cream|
|1 onion minced|
|1 bay leaf|
|1 tbs nutmeg|
|Kosher and freshly ground black pepper to taste|
Here’s a family favorite guaranteed to please the crowd! The cheese is thick and gooey with a cheesy crust on top.This is a total party in you mouth. The key to this recipe is the harmony that the four cheeses provide. This is without a doubt the best macaroni and cheese that we have ever tasted anywhere, anytime. This recipe will serve 10 hungry people.
- Bring lightly salted water to boil, then add macaroni. Cook until slightly underdone(aldente). Drain and remove to a large bowl.
- In large sauce pan melt 4 tbs of butter whisking for 2 minutes. Then add 4 tbs of flour whisking continuously making a light roux.Add minced onion,bay leaf and nutmeg,and salt and pepper.
- After 3 or 4 minutes slowly whisk in the 4 cups of milk until mixture slightly thickens. Remove bay leaf.
- Add 1/2 of all of the cheeses to the sauce and melt slowly, mixing well.
- Take almost 1/2 of the remaining cheese and mix well with the cooked macaroni.(reserve enough of the cheese mixture to sprinkle over the top of the macaroni)
- Add the cheese sauce to the macaroni along with 3 beaten eggs and sour cream. Mix well.
- Place mixed macaroni in an oven proof baking dish or and sprinkle remaining cheese mixture over the top.
- Bake about 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until the cheese has melted and the top has a golden crust.
- Let cool then serve.