- 1 pound of fresh salmon fillet chopped into small chunks.(you may substitute canned salmon, but fresh is much better)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg beaten
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry fresh breadcrumbs ( you can use day old bread left out overnight)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tbs chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp dried
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
- juice from 1/2 orange
- 2 tbs honey
- zest from 1/2 orange
- Juice from 1/2 orange
The dill in this recipe imparts a special flavor to these patties. The word dill means to lull or sooth. Dill is a member of the parsley family and is related to such seeds as anise, caraway and fennel. It is thought to be calming to the digestive system and other ailments.The addition of the honey orange butter compliments the savory nature of the dill and salmon.
- Place mayonnaise in a medium sized bowl and stir in the egg.
- Add in the celery onion dill and stir to combine.
- Add the salmon and bread crumbs and mix gently.
- Form into patties and chill until firm.
- Lightly saute the patties until golden on each side
- For the honey orange butter mix juice and zest of 1/2 orange with softened butter and honey.
- Mix well and drizzle over salmon when served.