- 1 pint of select shucked oysters
- 1 tbs of butter
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped leek white and light green parts
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 cups of half and half
- 2 tbs chopped parsley (curly or Italian)
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
Fall and winter are the best times for eating oysters only because they spawn in summer. Many oyster stew recipes do not use the oyster liquor in their stews. I believe that this is a total waste of flavor. This stew is sweet and silky with a rich deep oyster flavor.
- Saute leeks in butter until tender
- Add the milk, half and half and liquor from oysters and simmer lightly for 10 minutes.
- Add oysters, and salt and white pepper cook for another 5 minutes.
Note: Oysters cook very quickly so take care not to over cook.