Southern Down Home Herb Biscuits
|2 cups of all purpose flour (sifted)|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tbs baking powder|
|zest from 1 lemon|
|3 tbs fresh parsley|
|1 tbs fresh thyme|
|1/2 cup vegetable shortening (for super flaky biscuits use lard) very cold|
|1/2 cup milk|
|1/4 cup heavy cream|
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and lightly grease 1 or 2 baking sheets.
- In a bowl stir together flour, salt, baking powder, lemon zest, parsley and thyme.
- Add the shortening and using a pastry knife or fork, mix together until the mixture resembles oatmeal.
- Add the milk and cream, using a fork mix together until mixture forms a dough ball that holds together.
- Placed dough ball on a floured surface and knead gently a few times. Do not over mix or you will get tough biscuits.
- Flatten the dough with your hands or roll out with a rolling pin to a even depth of about 1/2 inch thick. Do not over work dough.
- Using a round biscuit cutter or a glass, cut out as many biscuits as possible. Place on prepared pans about 1/4 inch apart.
- Gather up scraps and make more biscuits.
- Bake until golden. about 15 minutes.