- 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbs fresh sage chopped fine
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 and 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
This is an easy classic Cornbread, and stuffing recipe. We don’t recommend that you cook this stuffing inside of the bird mainly because the stuffing is completely cooked you will have to cook the bird to long and hence end up having a dried out bird.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sage.
- Stir to blend
- Add eggs milk and oil and mix until smooth
- Pour mixture into a greased baking dish or a greased 12 inch iron skillet.(I prefer the iron skillet)
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- If using for stuffing let sit out overnight uncovered.
- 1 recipe for cornbread( see above) dried and cubed.
- 1 loaf of French bread (baguette) dried and cubed.
- 1 stick of butter
- 5 stalks of celery finely diced
- 2 onions finely diced
- 3 tbs of sage finely diced
- 5 cups of chicken or turkey stock
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 1 tbs fresh crack black pepper
- 1/4 cup of curly or flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tbs thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large saute pan
- Add celery onions and cook until soft.
- Add the sage and thyme.
- In a large bowl add the cornbread, french bread, sauteed vegetables and mix well.
- Warm chicken or turkey stock on stove top and slowly add to stuffing mixture until absorbed.
- Add the salt, pepper and parsley and the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Add more broth if stuffing seems dry. It should be wet.
- Pour stuffing into a large baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.