French Style Roasted Cornish Game Hens
|4 game hens|
|4 lemon wedges|
|2 sticks of softened unsalted butter butter|
|1 cup chicken stock|
|1 cup of white wine|
|Kosher or sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
|1 minced onion|
|1 minced stalk of celery|
|3 garlic cloves|
|2 and 1/2 cups of fresh bread crumbs|
|2 tbs chopped fresh parsley|
|2 tbs of chopped fresh tarragon|
|2 eggs beaten to bind stuffing|
A Cornish game hen is a hybrid of Cornish and White Rock chickens. These tiny chickens weigh on average about 1 and 1/2 pounds and are about 4 weeks old. Due to their small size each hen is enough for about one serving. They are very tender and delicious when roasted. This recipe will serve four and can be doubled.
- Wash and dry the birds thoroughly.
- Saute the onions, garlic, celery in 1 tbs of butter.
- Add sauteed vegetables to bread crumbs along with beaten egg.
- Add chopped herbs to stuffing, along with 1/2 of the chicken stock.
- Place stuffing inside of hens.
- Rub birds all over with softened butter.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff birds loosely with the stuffing mixture.
- Place birds in roasting pan along with the white wine and remaining chicken stock
- Roast at 400 degrees about 20 minutes per pound plus 20 minutes…About 1 hour
- Squeeze a lemon wedge over each bird when serving.