Hot and Sour Spicy Shrimp Soup
- 1 onion peeled
- 1 small hot green chili pepper (I use Serrano or Thai Bird chilies you can add more chili if you like it really spicy)
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 tsp canola oil
- About 2 oz's of oyster mushrooms
- 5 cups of homemade chicken stock
- 1 lemon grass stalk left whole (white parts only)
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 small bunch of watercress or cilantro
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Many of you think that Asian food is difficult to make at home. The exact opposite is true. The key to making wonderful Asian food is to have your ingredients prepared in advance because the cooking in most cases goes very quickly. This recipe is very easy to make and will take about 20 minutes, start to finish!
- Chop the onion into small dice.
- Halve and mince the chili.
- Peel and mince the ginger.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the onion, chili, ginger and fry stirring constantly for about 4 minutes. add the mushrooms and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, lemon grass, and wine vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes
- Meanwhile chop the water cress or cilantro discarding the stems, and add to the soup with the shrimp.
- Remove the lemon grass a adjust seasoning before serving.