Scallops in Creamy Basil Sauce
|2 lbs large fresh sea scallops|
|1 small onion|
|2 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|1 tbs unsalted butter|
|2 garlic cloves minced|
|2/3 cup dry white wine|
|4 tsp of chopped fresh basil|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|2/3 cup of heavy cream|
|Basil leaves for garnish|
This super creamy sauce compliments the sweetness of the scallops perfectly.
- Cut the scallops in half making discs
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large saucepan and add the minced onion and garlic. Fry gently until onions are clear. About 3 minutes.
- Add the scallops to the pan and toss to coat in the oil and butter.
- Stir in the white wine and chopped basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Be careful not to over cook the scallops, they cook very quickly.
- Remove the scallops from the liquid with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Boil the liquid until reduced by half then stir in the cream a little at a time.
- Simmer the sauce until it thickens.
- Return the scallops to the pan and heat gently for 30 seconds.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve over basmati rice.