Seafood Bisque with Lobster, Scallops, Shrimp and Mussels
|12 sea scallops|
|1 2 pound lobster|
|1 pound medium shrimp with shells|
|2 cups dry white wine|
|1/4 cup cognac or 1/4 cup of dry sherry|
|1 small onion diced finely|
|1 leek white and light green parts, cleaned well and diced finely|
|1/3 cup of carrot diced finely|
|2 cloves of garlic diced finely|
|1 bay leaf|
|1tsp of dried thyme or 2 tbs of fresh|
|1 tsp dried rosemary or 2 tbs fresh diced finely|
|1 tbs fresh parsley|
|Kosher or sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 tsp lemon juice|
|4 cups of heavy cream|
|1 cup of whole milk|
This is truly one of the most sensuous soups in the world. The taste is both subtle and incredibly rich! Seafood bisque is traditionally made with a concentrated broth created from lobster or shrimp shells enriched with cream, and has a rich seafood flavor. Whether it be lobster, shrimp, or mussels, traditionally bisque is smooth. This recipe takes bisque to the next level by using all of these ingredients, as well as adding the lobster, scallop, shrimp and mussel meat to the rich silky broth. Yes it has a lot of ingredients. Just prepare them in advance and this bisque is a breeze to make. Serve this dish for a special event with some crusty bread for dipping. This recipe will serve 10 to 15 people.
- Prep and dice all of your aromatic vegetables.
- Combine white wine, bay leaf, onion, celery, carrot, leek and garlic in a stock pot over medium heat and bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add lobster cover pot and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove lobster and set aside to cool.
- Add shrimp in shells and cook for 3 minutes. Remove and set aside until cool.
- Add mussels cover and cook until they open. Remove meet and discard the shells.
- Add 2 cups of water or fish stock to the pot and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add the scallops and cook for 3 minutes.Remove and set aside to cool.
- Extract lobster meat from shells including the green tamale and lobster roe if any.
- Extract the shrimp from sells and de-vein. Reserve shells
- Chop shrimp, lobster and scallops into bite size pieces and reserve.
- Add shrimp and lobster shells back into broth and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain broth through a sieve lined with cheese cloth and return to pot.
- Add the cream milk and herbs and simmer until broth thickens. About 10 minutes.
- Add the seafood and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Add the lemon juice and cognac or sherry and serve.