Indonesian Pork Beef or Chicken Satay
|1 lb pork tenderloin or 1 lb beef sirloin, or 1 lb boneless chicken breast( you may mix and match meats)|
|1 small onion peeled and diced|
|3 tbs soy sauce|
|2 tbs of curry powder|
|1 tsp dark brown sugar|
|1 small Serrano or Thai chili pepper|
|1 tsp oil|
|1 garlic clove minced|
|1 tsp curry powder|
|2 tsp chili powder|
|1 cup crunchy peanut butter|
|1 tbs dark brown sugar|
|finely grated rind of one lemon|
|peanuts and cilantro leaves for garnish|
|Frisse and mixed salad greens|
The flavors of Indonesia are vibrant and delicious. This is a simple dish that we love cooking over charcoal. However, it may also be cooked under a broiler. This recipe calls for pork but you may substitute chicken breasts or beef tenderloin. Alternatively you may also serve an assortment of Satay’s.
- In a shallow bowl mix together the onion, soy sauce, brown sugar, curry powder, Serrano/Thai chili pepper and cubed pork.mix well cover and let marinate for at least one hour.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a sauce pan and add the garlic, curry and chili powders. Cook siring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add the peanut butter, sugar and lemon rind with 1 and 1/4 cups of water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring until the sauce is thick, About 5 minutes.
- Soak 8 to 10 bamboo skewers in water for a half hour.
- Thread the pork onto the skewers. Grill over charcoal (which is best) or cook under a hot broiler, turning occasionally until well browned. (about 5 minutes)
- Serve skewers on a bed of salad greens accompanied with sauce and garnished with cilantro and chopped peanuts.