|2 large egg plants (2 lbs)|
|1 cup of extra virgin olive oil|
|2 large onions diced|
|3 pounds of ground lamb|
|1/4 cup of all purpose flour|
|1n 28 oz can of tomatoes with sauce (We like Cento)|
|5 tbs of mixed herbs( parsley, thyme and oregano)|
|1 large head of garlic chopped ( about 8 cloves)|
|Kosher or sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste|
|2 and 1/2 cups of plain Greek yogurt|
|4 large eggs|
|3 oz of feta cheese crumbled|
|1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese|
This wonderful dish has layers of ground lamb, eggplant, tomatoes and onions topped with a creamy yogurt and cheese sauce.It is delicious served with a glass of red wine and a crisp leafy green salad.
- Peel and cut the egg plants into thin slices and layer them in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt.Cover them with a palate and a weight, and leave them to drain for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain the egg plants and rinse to remove all of the salt, and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Heat about 8 tbs of olive oil in a large skillet.
- Saute the onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add the lamb and cook over medium heat until browned.
- Stir in the flour and mix well.
- Stir in the tomatoes with sauce, as well as the herbs, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- heat remaining olive oil in a saute pan and saute the egg plant slices until golden on both sides. You may have to cook in batches, and drain on paper towels.
- Pre- heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange half of the egg plant slices in a large shallow oven proof dish.
- Top the egg plant slices with half of the meat and tomato mixture.
- Add the remaining egg plant slices and spread the remaining meat mixture on top.
- Beat together the yogurt and eggs along with the feta and Parmesan cheese and spread the mixture over the meat.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Let cool slightly, then serve.