- 1 lb of fresh okra cut into 1 inch rounds
- 1 and 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups of cracker meal
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp of kosher salt
- Canola oil for shallow frying. (You may also deep fry the okra if desired)
Look for fresh okra with firm green pods no more than 4 inches long. To test for tenderness, touch the tops with a sharp object which should easily pierce the okra. This crispy okra is a great appetizer. Your guests will beg you for the recipe.
- In a bowl mix together the buttermilk and egg thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cracker meal and the flour.
- In a cast iron pan add 2 inches of canola oil and heat to 360 degrees.
- Dip okra pieces in the butter milk mixture, then into the flour mixture, shake off excess.
- Fry okra in batches, about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Be sure to turn okra to make sure that it cooks evenly.