Super Cheesy French Onion Soup
- 4 large red onions peeled and sliced thinly
- 4 tbs of unsalted butter softened
- 2 tbs of canola oil
- 4 cups of good beef stock
- 5 tbs of sherry wine
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb of Gruyere cheese shredded
- 4 1 inch thick slices of french baguette
This recipe is guaranteed to please..It will deliver deep onion flavor with the wonderful texture of gooey cheese!! We like a lot of cheese and we think you will too! Many onion soup recipe’s use regular white or Spanish onions.We use red onions because they deliver a deeper onion flavor. We love our French onion soup very cheesy, hence about a 1/4 lb of cheese on each serving. This recipe can be made in about 1 hour. You will need some oven proof crocks to prepare the recipe properly.
- Melt 2 tbs of the butter with the oil in a large saute pan then add the onions and cook over low heat for at least 15 minutes or until the onions are caramelized with a rich mahogany brown color.
- Transfer the onions to a large sauce pan.
- Pour in the beef stock and add the sherry and bay leaf and simmer partially covered for 25 minutes.Remove the bay leaf.
- Pre- heat the broiler and toast the French bread on both sides.
- Add soup to 4 oven proof soup crocks, making sure to distribute the onions evenly.
- Remove bread from broiler and spread one side with butter and place atop of soup crocks.
- Heap each crock with 1/4 of the grated cheese and place under broiler until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.