Korean Pickled Garlic
- 25 garlic whole garlic bulbs, (large) paper removed
- 1 and 1/2 cups of cider vinegar
- 2 cups of soy sauce
- 1 cup of sugar
This is a dish that is served along side other Korean preparations, particularly grilled dishes. The garlic gains an fascinating pickled flavor. Be pre warned once prepared it will take about a month before the garlic is ready to eat.
- Peel off the outer layers of the garlic, taking care to keep the bulbs intact.
- Take a large heatproof jar with and airtight lid (Ball canning jars work well) make sure the jar is large enough. It should be able to hold 5 pints of liquid.
- Pour 3 cups of water and the 1 and 1/2cups of cider vinegar into the jar.
- Add the garlic bulbs and let set at room temperature for 3 days.
- Drain off the vinegar solution from the jar, leaving the garlic in place.
- Heat 1 and 1/2 cups of water in a pan and add the soy sauce and sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the liquid over the garlic in the jar.
- Cover the jar immediately, closing it tightly, and store in a cool dark place for 1 month before eating.