New England Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner
|4 to 5 lb corned beef brisket|
|1 clove garlic|
|2 whole cloves|
|10 whole black peppercorns|
|2 bay leaves|
|8 medium carrots, peeled|
|8 medium potatoes, peeled|
|8 medium yellow onions peeled|
|1 medium head cabbage, cut into 8 wedges( leaving root in tack)|
|2 tbs butter|
|For the Mustard Sauce:|
|1/2 cup mayonnaise|
|1 tsp chopped onion|
|1/2 cup whole grain mustard|
This is classic New England comfort food. Tender corn beef along with cabbage and potatoes. Perfect dish for St. Patrick’s Day.
- Wipe corned beef with damp paper towels. Place in a large stockpot and cover with cold water.
- Add garlic, cloves, black peppercorns, and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Skim surface, then simmer, covered for 3 to 4 hours, or until meat is fork-tender.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and onions during the last 25 minutes.
- Add cabbage during the last 20 minutes.
- Cook until vegetables are tender.
- To serve; Slice corned beef thinly across the grain. Arrange on one side of a serving platter.
- Place cabbage wedges, potatoes, and carrots artfully beside the meat.
- Brush the vegetables with melted butter and garnish with parsley.
- Serve mustard sauce on the side.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.