- 4 to 5 lb corned beef brisket
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 whole cloves
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 medium carrots, peeled
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled
- 8 medium yellow onions peeled
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into 8 wedges( leaving root in tack)
- 2 tbs butter
- Chopped parsley
- For the Mustard Sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp chopped onion
- 1/2 cup whole grain mustard
This is classic New England comfort food. Tender corn beef along with cabbage and potatoes. 10 servings.Directions:
- Wipe corned beef with damp paper towels. Place in a large stock pot and cover with cold water.
- Add garlic, cloves, black peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Skim surface, then simmer, covered for 3 to 4 hours, or until meat is fork tender.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and onions during the last 25 minutes.
- Add cabbage during the last 20 minutes.
- Cook until vegetables are tender.
- To serve; Slice corned beef thinly across the grain. Arrange on one side of a serving platter.
- Place cabbage wedges, potatoes and carrots artfully beside the meat.
- Brush the vegetables with melted butter and garnish with parsley.
- Serve mustard sauce on the side.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.