- 2 cups of pumpkin seeds
- 8 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tsp of kosher salt
- 4 tsp of crushed dried chipolte chilies or regular dried chili flakes
- 2 tsp of superfine sugar
- 4 wedges of lime
These crunchy, spicy and slightly sweet pumpkin seeds are irresistible,especially if you use hot and tasty chipotle chilies to spice them up. Their smoky flavor is the perfect foil for the nutty taste of the pumpkin seeds and the hint of sweetness provided by the sugar. Serve bowls of pepitas with pre-dinner drinks and cocktails as an alternative or an addition to nuts. Makes 2 cups.
- In a skillet, add the pumpkin seeds and toast over medium high heat for a few minutes, stirring constantly. It is important to keep the pumpkin seeds moving constantly as they cook and do not let them burn.
- When all the seeds look swollen, add the garlic and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly, making sure the seeds and the garlic don’t burn.
- Add the salt and the crushed chilies and stir to mix.
- Turn off the heat, but keep the pan on the stove.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the seeds and shake the pan to make sure that they are completely coated.
- Place the pepitas in a bowl and serve with wedges of lime for squeezing over the seeds.