Pork and Shrimp Spring Rolls with Thai Chili Sauce
|1/4 head of savoy cabbage, julienne
|2 cups of snow peas, julienne
|2 cups bean sprouts
|1/2 cup celery sliced thin
|1/2 cup water chestnuts, julienne
|1/2 cup onions sliced very thin
|1 lb of ground pork
|1/2 lb of shelled fresh small shrimp
|2 tbs of soy sauce
|2 tbs of fish sauce
|2 eggs beaten
|1 tbs of canola oil for the saute
|2 cup of canola oil for the frying ( if preparing using egg roll wrappers)
|1 tbs of sesame oil
|kosher or sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
|24 egg roll wrappers or rice paper wrappers. (you may make half egg roll wrappers and half rice paper wrappers if desired)
These spring rolls are bursting with Asian flavors. They are very versatile and can be made with egg roll wrappers as well as rice paper wrappers. We are going to give you both versions.
- Saute celery and onions until translucent in canola oil. Use medium high heat.
- Add the cabbage, snow peas bean sprouts and water chestnuts and cook until cabbage is tender. About 2 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from pan and set aside to cool.
- Add 1 tsp of oil to the pan and add the ground pork and brown.
- Add the shrimp and saute until pink.
- Once shrimp is pink add the soy sauce, fish sauce, and sesame oil. Season to taste.. Be careful with the salt.
- Drain the shrimp and pork, let cool then add the the vegetables, and gently mix.
- If using egg roll wrappers brush edges with egg wash and add 1 heaping tbs 3 inches from the bottom and leaving 1 inch space on the sides of the wrapper. Roll once tightly, then fold sides and continue to roll.
- Fry egg rolls in 350 degree oil for about 2 minutes until golden and crispy.
- If using rice paper sheets, hydrate the sheets in warm water for about 20 seconds. This will make the rice paper pliable. Roll in the same manner, dry and fry.
Thai Dipping Sauce:
- 5 egg yolks
- Canola oil
- Sesame oil
- 2 tbs of ginger finely minced
- 1/2 cup of rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup of lime juice
- Soy sauce
- 1 tbs of finely minced garlic
- 1 tbs of honey
- 2 tbs of Sriracha
- Combine all ingredients except for canola and sesame oil.
- Slow pour the sesame and canola oil into mix to thicken.
- Mix well to thicken.
- For added spice add 1 or 2 Thai bird chilies.