Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup lard, very cold
- 1 stick melted butter for brushing biscuits
The key to making flaky biscuits is to use lard and not to overwork the dough. If you must you may substitute either vegetable shortening or butter for the lard. Makes 10 biscuits.
- Cut the lard into flour with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly.
- Add buttermilk stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.. let sit a few seconds so the flour absorbs the milk.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface ; knead 3 or 4 times…(no more..the more you knead the tougher the biscuits will be…less is more)
- Pat dough to a 3/4 inch thickness; cut with a 1 and 1/2 inch cutter and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter and serve hot.